Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Miss you Katie!

"baybay, writing this takes so much courage and strength! and its amazing. as im sure you know i myself was a heroin addict. after i lost justin, i lost myself. i hurt all the people that loved me. and i never knew how that affected them, reading this is helping me understand that. im sure that writing this is helping with your healing, but its also helping mine. i have been clean now for 2 1/2 years but it is something i have to deal with everyday. when i had my daughter there were certain medications that i could not take because i was afraid that i would relapse. addiction is a very hard battle to overcome, thank you for sharing this amazing story. i cant wait to read more! your such a strong and amazing women. you have so much strength a courage! im so proud of you, thank you for doing this...i dont think you know just how many people you will help :) love you girl! xxoo"

This was a post from my friend Katie (I think she prefers Kate now) who I have known since we were about 7! She was one of my first friends when I moved to a new town in CT. We were on the same cheerleading squad for years-but when we began High School we started doing our own thing. We saw each other occasionally but for the most part we lost contact.

After seeing this post I started talking to Katie on Facebook; I had no idea that she was using heroin before moving to Florida, and I wanted to know a little more about her situation. She told me that after her High School boyfriend passed away (also one of my good friends) she started using a concoction of pills, and shortly after started using heroin, because a "friend" had introduced it to her. Her family had an intervention with her and within 12hrs she was on her way to rehab in Florida. After getting out of rehab Katie relapsed once, and her parents stopped talking to her. She has now been clean for 2 1/2 years, and is starting to rebuild the relationships with her family.

Katie seems so happy and optimistic about her future. She has a little beautiful baby girl, and a great boyfriend in Florida. We've made plans to see each other around Christmas time in CT. I'm really looking forward to catching up with her :)

Katie I love you! I'm so proud of you, and I thank you for sharing your experience with me. Every day is a struggle, and if you ever need anything I will always be here for you.

2 comments:

  1. thanks bay! i love you too! and i do hope that our storied help people and give them inspitation because there is a light at the end of the tunnel i know when ur using it can seem like you are never going to get your life back together, i know i felt that way. never in my wildest dreams did i think that my life would have turned out this way. im sober, in love and a mother to a beautiful baby girl and i turly couldnt be happier! if i can help you out in any other way please dont hesitate to ask! i love you girl!!! cant wait to see you at xmas!!

    p.s i was @ my sister in law cheer competition on sunday wow did that bring back a lot of memories! i miss those days!!! xoxox love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, you seem like such a strong person and it is so great that you have overcome your challenges. Life has a lot to offer and even though I don't know you, I'm so happy that you will get to experience the joy that a drug free life has in store for you. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete