Saturday, November 6, 2010

Thank You Anonymous

Bailie thank you so much for making it easier to talk about our experiences. Here is one of my stories:

"When I was 16 I was dating a drug addict. Like you I was in denial and just thought that he liked to smoke pot sometimes and experiment with drugs a little bit. I didn't realize it was addiction. One major clue should have been the people he surrounded himself with. This particular experience is about the time I watched his best friend overdose on cocaine. 

I had just brought some lunch over to my boyfriend (he didn't have a job and lived in a friend's basement). A few of his friends were in the room adjoining the one we were in. He and I were sitting on the couch talking and eating when a girl in the other room started screaming that *** was overdosing. We ran in to find my boyfriend's best friend convulsing on the bed, white saliva spilling out of his mouth. We also noticed that he was biting down on his tongue over and over again. My boyfriend tried to put something in his mouth to make him stop but it didn't work. To my astonishment almost everyone else in the room left because they were too scared of getting caught, and no one who stayed mentioned anything about calling 911. I started screaming that we had to get him to a hospital because he was only getting worse and finally I convinced them, but they also convinced me to drive him to the ambulance station in my car. We got *** in the car and after about 5 minutes he stopped convulsing and had no recollection of what just happened. Then he started to freak out, telling us that he was fine and demanding that we let him out of the car. He even started to cry because he was so scared that he would get arrested. Meanwhile he was saying all of his with a lisp and blood coming out of his mouth from biting his tongue so hard. We wouldn't let him convince us though he did try to jump out of my car at every stop sign. We waited in the hospital for hours for him to get out and drove him home when he did. He had bitten a hole straight through his tongue. Through his lisp and to my insistence he promised he would never do it again. The promise, of course, was never kept. He called me a week later asking if I would drive him to a pick up. I said no. I've seen his name in the paper from time to time, getting caught with heroin, going to jail. 

I went to therapy for weeks after this, it was incredibly traumatizing. It's hard to be on the other side, watching someone hurt themselves and being helpless to stop it."


-Thank you Anonymous for being so brave, and sharing your story with all of us. I'm sure it was not easy, but it was very courageous and I really think it will show people how much drugs can really change a person. You were so you young, and you saw something no one should ever have to see. 


Isn't it crazy how we call these people our friends, would you still consider the people from this night to be your friends now? Friends are people that are there for you through thick and thin--not people you have to convince to bring to the hospital when they're overdosing! I'm very proud of you for knowing that this guy needed help; luckily you weren't messed up on drugs, and were able to know how to react under pressure. Also I really don't think you were "helpless" if it weren't for you his other "friends" probably would not have helped him at all!


I'm also extremely happy/proud that you went to therapy after this! Seeking out help is always hard, but I'm sure that it was helpful for you (or at least I hope that it was). I'm a HUGE advocate of therapy, but I also think you need to be in the right mindset to really appreciate the help that is available to you. 


I'm sorry to hear that this person has now been in and out of jail. Hopefully he gets well someday, and hopefully he does have someone to help him with his recovery process...when he is ready. Once again thank you Anonymous, this is exactly the kind of story I was hoping people would be able to share with all of us! 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this story and for being brave enough to call 911 even though it could have put everyone at risk with the police. It was the right thing to do and thank goodness you had the clarity of mind to make that call. Glad it seems like your life never went down this path.

    ReplyDelete