Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Emotional Eating

"My dad was an addict and part of his addictive, compulsive personality involved eating foods that were horrible for him and in crazy huge amounts. Watching those unhealthy eating behaviors as a child caused some screwed up eating patterns in my own life."


This was posted anonymously, under my blog post "Pancakes". I think this is a really great post and I admire your courage for posting about your eating patterns. As I shared with you all briefly-I have eating issues. I'll talk about my emotional eating/not eating in greater detail, but to be honest it's something I still struggle with. My issues stem from my mom and also just from within.


I'm sorry your dad's emotional eating issue has resulted in you having messed up eating problems, but I'm extremely happy to know that you have been able to acknowledge where these eating patterns come from- and I hope that you are able to get the help you deserve to live a happy/healthy lifestyle! 

4 comments:

  1. Also Anonymous, everyone deals with their emotions differently-I think that there are a lot of different reactions to dealing with addiction, and this is unfortunately one of those. Some people get angry, others hurt themselves, some become promiscuous, but all of these actions can be avoided. I unfortunately dealt with all of the above feelings, and the way I fixed my behavior was by going to therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's truly a difficult thing to open up about the parts of your life that you feel most self conscious about, especially eating. In our society we are bombarded with pictures of deathly skinny girls who are meant to be the picture of perfection and we are supposed to be like them. It's not only unhealthy but it's pathetic. WE ARE HUMAN BEINGS! Life shouldn't be about what size jean you can squeeze into but about how happy you are. Compulsive eating has health risks of course and that's why I think it's so great you exposed that part of you because the hardest step admitting there is a problem, now all you have to do is try and work on it to better how you feel physically and emotionally. So kudos to you! I will end this post on this note, "start with one step, however small the first steps is hardest of all" (DMB) but you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your support. It is a daily struggle for me but I really try to make an effort to be healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Food can become a serious issue when dealing with any difficulties. I suffered for ten years from an eating disorder that could very well have killed me. It's strange that we use food as a means to control anything in our lives. My life felt so out of control that counting calories and purging was the only part of my life I felt in control of. It creates a very false sense that you have power over things. Thanks for sharing your story. I too still struggle... think I always will. I have to constantly be aware of my behaviors.

    ReplyDelete